Saturday, August 29, 2009

Evil Film @ Bushwick Film Festival

It's late... Or early rather, but I can't hold back the excitement much longer. It's silly, I know, but I can't help but feel really proud that 'Evil Film' got into an actual film festival (http://bushwickfilmfestival.com/?page_id=73). My short will be the last of the night tonight, and following will be a short end reception.

Yes, it is in my neighborhood, and yes it is limited to only the artists in my neighborhood, but nonetheless, it's my first festival, and soon enough, in the future waits a good omen that the BFF won't be my last. Filipp Kotsishevskiy, another filmie from my freshman class had a festival in the works over the summer, and things really started falling into place as the city scorched. It was as if the heat from the sun fueled a steam engine in Fil's mind and had him forge a festival that was so kickass to begin with, it only had to be folded eight times... I speak only of the Eightfold Film Festival.

Alright. I'm getting really cheesy now. I better not start talking about my dungeon master skills. (I'd blow you away with my twelve-sided die... mortal...) But yes, 'Evil Film' will also be at the Eightfold Film Festival, September 13th. Filipp and my good friend Shane, who's also been helping with the festival, made a couple kickass ads for the event. Here's a glimpse.




In the meantime, I'm just about to start up Sophomore year and I'm awfully excited. All my friends, the professors, the dugout, the parking lot, awkward smiles. You know, the whole college deal. It's gonna be quite the trip. I'll be making a documentary soon, and also, working on some scene adaptations.
I'm awfully excited to do pre-written work. I've been reading quite a few things and so many ideas come to mind (been sketching a lot), and most definitely I'll be working with Shane again.

But that also brings to mind what's been a bit of a concern. Where to find actors. I'm sure craigslist will be reliable, but I should definitely find some other listings, elsewhere.

In all the excitement of things, I can't help but dwell over the departing of my Panasonic PV-GS500. I can't figure out what's wrong with it and right now I can't afford to bring it in for repairs. I hope Danny, the film department store manager can maybe give it a look. I'd really just like to know what's wrong with it.

RIP
Despite this bump in the road, I've still shot a couple things this summer. Gone up to Jeffersonville to help shoot some Bear Ramage sketches with Robertson, Shane and Max. We're sore of hoping Bear Ramage can become a silly sketch comedy show on P-TV. We think it's funny, but sometimes what a handful of insane film junkies think is funny can be awfully intimidating and tasteless to the surface dwellers. 

I got to direct a short sketch by Shane entitled 'Squidbabies'. I can't really say anything. We're trying to keep it under wraps, but you can let it fester in your head, what the hell it could possibly mean for your TV set. Most of the sketches we've been doing... all the written ones at least have had drag, which as cliche as it is sometimes, is still funny to us.

I'd never really written a sketch before, but when we were up in Jeffersonville shooting, I felt inclined to write something. I've been prodding at it a bit, and I hope the group wants to film it. It's in the vain of Monty Python, which I know they'll go for, but it could still use some work.

Earlier in the summer, Shane also wrote a short slapstick comedy that I had the opportunity to photograph. It was arduous but worth it nonetheless.

I have photos from both, but I'll post them later. I have to go to sleep now. I have to get some rest. It'll be my last day in the city, and the first screening of my career.

Take care.

Sincerely,
John Morgan

P.S. My brothers friend left a digital still camera in my house a few months back, and hasn't come to claim it, even when he came over. Well-- I'm taking it for my own. I think I can get more mileage out of it than if I left it on a shelf to gather dust. So, expect to see some of my photo work in days to come.

1 comment:

  1. pretty cool man. welcome to the blogging world.

    and change your font, definitely.

    ReplyDelete