Friday, August 28, 2009

"Evil Film" NOW ON YOUTUBE!

- For the latest Dancing Zombie video content, visit www.youtube.com/dancingzombie -

'Evil Film' is now available on Dancing Zombie Productions' YouTube channel!



Personal Liner Notes on 'Evil Film'
 
'Evil Film' is the product of a simple camera malfunction. Originally I'd planned to shoot a sci-fi film in vain of 'The Twilight Zone' and 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' about a man being chased by an ambiguous cult conspiracy. I started principle photography, on location, to film the last sequences first. Little did I realize, it was the beginning of the end. When I had the 5 rolls I'd shot developed, I was crushed to find out that a pressure plate malfunction in the camera caused my film to come back, useless. I couldn't afford to re-shoot, so I abandoned the project completely and started from scratch.

So as time rolled by, I drafted a sort of pseudo-doc about how my original project failed, but my friends and professors found it grim and sub-par--as did I. But when it came time to get things moving, I felt like the film I was trying to make, whatever it was, was eating me alive... and so, you basically have 'Evil Dead' in the film department.

I didn't do anything to try and mess around with the original version. This is basically the film as it screened on campus, but I did take the liberty to add some extra follies. I also added more to the beginning. It's obviously not shot on 16mm, but what do you want for nothing? (Rubber biscuit?) I'd originally planned to add this sequence during the 16mm cutting at school, but because of time constraints and several suggestions otherwise, I was swayed from presenting it with the opening montage. I hope it at least sets a good pace, and more importantly makes things less confusing.

I'd never planned to make a parody in my life, but I'm a devout 'Evil Dead' fan, as my friends would agree. It only seemed right to emulate Raimi's style and over-the-top camera fits, as they were something that struck a huge blow for me at an early age. 'Evil Dead' was, and has been, the most influential film for me as a filmmaker. But just as much as this film is my homage to Sam Raimi, it is also my homage to anyone trying to make their first film project, especially incoming SUNY Purchase Freshmen (you've been warned). 

Looking back on the film as a whole, it's not a great film. I know that, for sure... But while I was making it, I sort of knew that going in, and that sort of became the fun of the film's aesthetic. Visible strings. Cheap effects. Bad dubbing. I think the movie works as an homage to cheesy exploitation films (mostly 70s Italian Exploitation cinema i.e., Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci...), and is kind of only good in that right. It is sheerly meant to give the illusion that I'm trying to shock you, but it's a comedy... so, c'mon. (Although I've noticed kids under 9 getting scared during my movie, and that makes me happy.)

I hope you enjoy the insanity as much as I have, and that if you are an aspiring filmmaker or a just a flat out film buff, this film brings some sort of demented smile to your face.

A very special thanks to everyone who was involved with production, and especially SUNY Purchase Film class of 2012.

Sincerely,
John Morgan
(Writer/ Director, 'Evil Film')

P.S. So after a lot of tinkering, I've finally managed to throw up 'Evil Film' in its entirety. This of course is not the best quality, and for that you'll have to buy the DVD. Sorry, guy's gotta earn a profit somehow... BUT HEY!

DVD WILL INCLUDE:

-HD Quality Transfer of Original 16mm Film
-Trailers
-Audio Commentary
-Bonus Short ('Never A Second To Myself')
-Still Gallery
& 8 1/2 x 11" 'Evil Film' Poster!!!

****THIS OFFER HAS EXPIRED AS OF 1/31/10****

No comments:

Post a Comment